3. Digital Literacy and Citizenship Introduction
In this module, you will learn about digital citizenship, explore the main topics and skills students should learn, and learn how to teach students to be safe, responsible, and respectful participants in our digital world. You'll start by learning about what digital citizenship is, and reflecting on the ethical and behavioral challenges regarding student conduct with digital media. You'll then learn about the variety of skills that make up digital citizenship, ranging from cyberbullying, online privacy, digital footprints, copyright, and effective searching and evaluation. You’ll also reflect on your responsibility as a teacher to model best practices in digital citizenship.
Upon completion of this module, participants will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of what digital citizenship is.
- Reflect on the challenges they've had with their students' conduct with media.
- Learn about the latest research on multimedia and student use today.
- Learn about the different topics and skills that make up digital citizenship.
- Explore resources to teach digital citizenship
- Reflect on how they can involve and educate parents.